Monday 9 August 2010

What price do you pay for your running?

I was on Twitter earlier today (something I do quite rarely these days) and read a tweet that caught my attention. It had been posted by @flipbooks which is one one of those good types of "spam" accounts. The type of account that annoys you most of the time but just when your about to unfollow offers you something of value. Well today it offered something of value in the form of a Quote which went something like this "Misery happens when you replace what you want in the future for something you want now!".

That's not the exact quote but its the gist, and it was that very idea that rang true to me. If I can now bring your attention to the attached photo I will explain this idea slightly further. The photo contains all my "Rehabilitation Gear". A pair of £85 Mizunos, two compression bandages, two Neoprean knee supports, an ice pack, freeze spray and a tube of freeze gel. All of this and a bucket of patience has been getting me back on the road and last night I ran my first 30 min run for a good few months. Way back in February, I did something reckless I ran a Marathon in Antarctica. At the time I knew I was pushing it too far. Several weeks before the event I had noticed I wasn't recovering from my long runs. I knew I could finish the distance but I also knew there would be a price to pay. I remember being at a cross-roads. I could continue running at the volume I was comfortable or push it to get to Marathon volume. I did the latter and the price has been paid by no running for the last 6 months. Like all bad debts there has been interest and this has been the financial cost of the items in the photo. The good think is like most repayment plans the end is in sight and soon I should be debt free and able to enjoy the liberation of debt free running! At that point I can go buy my new all singing iphone4 and start all over again with a 24 month contract and a debt we are all more familiar with :-)

What price do you pay for your running?


Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Posted via email from shadowcast posterous

blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers