Thursday 31 December 2009

Happy New Decade to all!

This group photo was taken a few weeks back now and was used as a "Seasons Greetings" image which was sent to all the other bases here in Antarctica. As an image of unity I thought i would use it for my New Years/Decade post.

With 24-hour daylight and no fixed time-zone and so many nationalities here on base, which moment we use to celebrate the New Year is a bit of a mystery. Do we celebrate it when the clock strikes midnight in the UK, do we celebrate the actual GMT New Year for our location, the South African new year, Australian , New Zealand or designated time for the base on either Shift 1 or Shift 2. (Its all a bit of a muddle).

So tonight I've decided that as the Sun does its little pirouette in the sky, when I look up I will note its position and try and picture where in the world the shift is happening from one day to the next. As I do my thoughts will be with that part of the world and the people there wishing them a Happy New Year and New Decade and all the best for 2010 and what the next 10 years has in store.

:-)

Posted via email from shadowcast posterous

blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers