Monday 26 October 2009

Blogging out of time!

I worked out today that I have 22 days left as a functioning member of society before I leave for Antarctica.

I fly from the UK on the 16th of November and then transfer from Cape Town to Antarctica on the 18th of November. I'm due to arrive on the Brunt Ice shelf sometime around the 20th. The crux of this is that I'm fast running out of time and one of the things I am desperately trying to sort out is a podcast/blog format for recording this adventure.

The premise I had in mind was to use my time on the ice to train for a marathon. I would then do a running diary about the experience. It would be an audio diary concept with a few videos thrown in for good measure supported by a blog. The question I have asked and keep asking myself is "what do I call it"?

I want it to be transferable, ie not just about Antarctica, but I also want it to be relevant, the current title that seems to be in my mind is some sort of play on Alice in Wonderland. "Runcasting from Wonderland" or "Philip in Runderland". Another concept I feel drawn to is the words "Terra Incognito" or as it is in non latin "Land Unknown". I'm liking the Runcasting incognito idea but its also a little bit "meh".

I feel both these ideas are relevant to Antarctica as a place of the mind, and for me Antarctica is more than the sum of its physical parts. It represents a natural purity that exists as an ideal in reality and in the mind.

In a place of wonder as is the same with anything unknown, these are personal spaces that exist within the person not the actual thing in question. Therefore they are transferable and for perfect for my purpose. However how I make this into a catchy title is the real unknown and I'm fast running out of time :-/
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Posted via email from shadowcast posterous

blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers