Sunday 13 January 2013

Dead icons won't age but we do!

10-john-lennon-stand-by-me

 

The image above is a photo of John Lennon which was used as the cover of is "Legend" Greatest Hits collection. It was released in October of 1997 and I purchased a copy in arround 1999. At the time I would have been 22. 

John Lennon was assasinated in 1980 at the age of 40. When i bought the "Legend" CD Lennon had been dead for 19 years, if he had still been alive he would have been 59 years of age. I would guess that in the photo hes around 35 years of age. 

Like I said when i first bought the CD Lennon I was 22 and the man in the photo was older than me. He was at least 10 years older if not more. I looked at him and saw a hero a "legend", someone to look up to and aspire too.

In the last 10 years ive done alot of growing up my self and i cant remember the last time i saw this image untill yesterday. It was in a shop window in Birkenhead. I had to stop because suddenly the image looked different. I was looking at a man around the same age as me, he looked younger and i felt older than the last time i had seen it. In 10 years time i will be looking at it again and this time he will be a younger man. 

In that simple moment of reflection it dawned on me that our Dead Icons never age but us the living do...not that this any major relevation it was just the first time i had noticed it.I doing so its made me reflect on my own gradual aging process and how important it is to make the most of my good health whilst i still have it. Thats all :)

 

 

 

Posted via email from shadowcast posterous

blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers